Thursday, March 1, 2012

3/1/12 Seller Failure (Failed Breakouts): How to recognize the signal and how to enter the trade

I see the seller / buyer failure occur approximately 0-4 times a day. Some of them are very strong signals like the one below. I categorize a very strong signal as one that never re-tests those levels during the trading day. A signal that may not be as strong can generate the signal and then run in your favor for a few points, say 4 to 5 points, and then reverse back to the origination zone. Its important to decide whether the SF or BF trade will run or if it will only give you the opportunity to take a few points. Either way, its a very high probability low risk setup.


First you recognize a swing point that is to generate a breakout signal. It will either breakout and follow through; or breakout, trap the bears, and fail / rally.

You want to recognize the failure.

If the failure was valid and strong, the level should never get re-tested during the trading day.

On a smaller time frame chart, you see the breakout failure. Its visible that after the failure you had a quick move in the opposite direction. This is usually due to bears' stops getting hit after failing to breakout to the downside.

Here is the entry signal on the 50 tick



Instead of assuming this will happen, which is a reckless strategy, try to recognize it and enter into the stop run. What I try to do is enter a stop limit order about 2 points away from the failure swing low set in. The concept behind this is that you're getting swept into the move and if the seller failure is strong, the failure point should not get re-tested anytime soon. It should at least give you a comfortable move in your favor to allow you to move your stop above entry.

Let me know if you guys have any questions.

2 comments:

  1. HT--
    I've "seen" you in the Brooks chatroom recently and got here via your Brooks forum post.
    BTW-I'm a 1971 MS Psychology grad of Western Illinois Univ there in Macomb.
    Is there a set of particular posts that explain your method? Or will I need to read all since 2009 :( ? thanks for sharing your approach to trading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey JimJinNJ!

    I'm actually in Macomb, MI; probably not the same area you're talking about.. however I do love the Chicago area!

    My posts are kind of scattered around on here, never really thought anybody would follow / be interested! haha kind of made this blog for myself to gather thoughts, ideas, and to make sure I'm following my system on a daily basis.

    If there is interest from others as well, maybe I can begin a series of posts / topics starting from the beginnings of my method and eventually getting into the more advanced aspects. I could possibly make it a series of posts explaining everything, not sure what the best way would be to do this.. Let me know if that sounds good or if you have any suggestions.

    Brooks chatroom is awesome by the way! All the people in there are great and very knowledgeable!

    Thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete